Fé’s Birth Story | Part One

I promised I would post Fé’s birth story on the blog. It ended up being a little long (sorry!) So I made it in two parts =) I have already posted some pictures of Fé’s first days so be sure to check those out as well! Also, I apologize in advance for any typos or bad grammar, Fé is only a week old and I am still a little sleep deprived!

Fés Birth Story | Part One

Here goes part one….the early hours of labor!

It all started the day before on Thursday November 3rd when we had our 40 week midwife appointment. At this point I was 40 weeks and 5 days pregnant! At the appointment I told the midwife that I hadn’t really been feeling Fé move in my belly (which had been going on since the Friday before). I guess I thought it was normal in the last few days to not feel her so much so Daniel and I weren’t really concerned, but the midwife said we should have called her earlier because it is a sign that something could be up! Especially since she was already overdue.

The midwife had us go to the hospital to get an Ultrasound and hook me up to a CTG where they could measure the baby’s heart rate. In the Ultrasound everything looked good but she still couldn’t really see that the baby was moving. The CTG scan also looked good, her heart rate was perfect the whole time! The scan also measured my contractions and it was showing some regular contractions but I wasn’t really feeling them. To be honest, I thought I just had to poop!

Getting my CTG scan at the hospital on Thursday!

Getting my CTG scan at the hospital on Thursday!

Because they couldn’t see much movement on the ultrasound they wanted us to return to the hospital the next day to get another CTG scan, just to make sure everything was okay! We came in at 9am Friday morning to get another scan and her heart rate was also perfect. The scan also showed that I was having contractions but this time they felt a little bit stronger and they were much closer together.

After we left the hospital Daniel and I decided to go get a coffee at our favorite little coffee spot. My contractions were getting a little bit worse by this time but they still just felt like stronger menstrual cramps. After we got coffee I felt like taking a bath, so we went to Daniel’s Dad’s farm where he has a nice big bathtub and I soaked in the bathtub for a little bit. That felt so so nice! The contractions were still coming at this point but they weren’t getting that much stronger and the bath really relieved a lot of the pain.

After the bath we went back home and I felt like a tuna sandwich from Subway (I know…super random). So Daniel and I walked into town to get a subway and then we even went H&M to look for some socks! (again….super random). It felt pretty nice to walk but at this point I had to stop every couple of minutes to deal with a contraction, although they were still very manageable. I could still talk through them and mostly walk through them. I did notice that they were starting to get longer and a little stronger. We left H&M and came back home where I started to time my contractions.

My contractions were coming pretty frequently (about 4 minutes apart) and lasting for about a minute. This is about when the midwife told us to call her so that is exactly what we did =) Our wonderful midwife Sophie arrived around 3pm. She watched my contractions and measured how dilated I was. At this point I was 3cm dilated and 100% effaced! Sophie said that she would come back in three hours (around 6pm) to check on me again.

Sophia, our midwife, is checking out my belly! I was still in pretty good spirits and able to smile =)

Sophia, our midwife, is checking out my belly! I was still in pretty good spirits and able to smile =)

The next three hours were pretty long. My contractions were starting to get worse and worse. Daniel was amazing the whole time! We put on The Polar Express (we were in the Christmas mood!) and he made sure I had enough water and snacks. At one point I wanted to get in the shower to relieve some of the pain. We didn’t have a plastic chair to use in the shower but Daniel took his desk chair and wrapped it up in about three layers of plastic bags and packing tape so that I could sit in the shower. I sat in the shower for about an hour with the hot water on my back and it felt AMAZING. Okay, AMAZING isn’t the right word, the contractions were getting pretty horrible but the pain relief from the shower was really nice.

My Homemade Shower Chair!

My Homemade Shower Chair!

At this point, every time I felt a contraction I went into a child’s pose which seemed to be the most comfortable position for me to be in. Also, I could no longer talk through my contractions like I could a few hours earlier.

The three hours went by, and Sophie came back to check on me at 6pm. She checked my cervix and told me I was about 4-5cm dilated. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. I thought that I was in so much pain I must be more dilated than that! Sophia also decided that it was best to break my water to speed things up a little bit.

At this point, I actually wanted to stay home and try to finish out labor at home because I just didn’t really feel like leaving to go to the hospital. Sophie said, however, that if she breaks my water and the baby has had her first bowel movement then we must go to the hospital because the baby needs to be monitored because she could potentially be in some distress.

So she broke my water, which was extremely painful!! She did it during a contraction and I felt a huge gush of water and the contraction was soooo much harder and stronger than any contraction I had felt before. I couldn’t believe how painful it was. I thought the contractions before were bad, but they were easy compared to how this contraction felt! The baby had pooped in the water (it was a little brownish-greenish) so we needed to go to the hospital.

Daniel quickly got everything ready (even though the carseat and hospital bag had been sitting int he car for weeks already!) and Sophie helped me through another painful contraction. At this point, there was nothing I could do but squat down towards the ground and try to breath to get through the contraction.

We hopped in the car and Sophie followed us to the hospital. To be honest, I don’t really remember the car ride very much. I remember being in so much pain I just didn’t know what to do. I screamed and clung to Daniels arm and held on to the car door handle. It felt like the longest car ride of my entire life, even though the hospital is only about 15 minutes away from our house!

This is the end of part one!! Stay tuned for part two, after we arrived at the hospital!

Also check out some more pictures of Baby Fé! She is so alert and she is just 6 days old! She is also so funny and so beautiful and we love her ohhhhh sooo much!

Fés Birth Story

Getting in some quality family time before a nice long nap =)

Getting in some quality family time before a nice long nap =)


Fe with Great Grandma!

Fé with Great Grandma!


Fés First Bucket Bath! She like this much better than the big bathtub!

Fés First Bucket Bath! She like this much better than the big bathtub!

Stay tuned for Part Two!! (Update: Click here for part two!)


1 Comment

  1. anne kathryn December 30, 2016 / 10:15 pm

    Beautiful! Love the pic where you are all in bed together. So cozy! Yes isn’t water amazing? Looking forward to reading part 2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *